“You have to have breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up”
“I never eat breakfast because I don’t feel hungry in the morning”
“I always have a bowl of cereal and milk for breakfast”
“I always sleep as late as I can, and so I never have enough time for breakfast”
is strange in that people have strong feelings and habits regarding this meal, but the bottom line is that this meal is nothing special or sacred. Breakfast
means the first meal taken after a night’s sleep. It doesn’t have to be in the morning and it does not have to be traditional eggs or cereal. It is just meal #1.
As an athlete, it is just another opportunity to fuel your body for performance and recovery. So, don’t get stuck in thinking about WHAT constitutes breakfast
food, or WHEN, or even HOW much to eat.
Hit your Breakfast Goals
When it comes to fueling your body, nutrition is very simple.
- Eat 1 gram / lb bodyweight protein (see Sparta Point)
- Eat 8 servings (fist size) vegetables (see Sparta Point)
- Drink 1/2 oz water / lb bodyweight (see Sparta Point)
With this simple approach, breakfast becomes more of a practical strategy, rather than a ritualistic habit. If you don’t get started on your protein
goals early, then it will be hard to catch up the rest of the day.
Simple Steps for Protein and Veggies
- Pan over medium / hi heat OR microwave
- Frozen chopped spinach: 1 to 2 fists
- Frozen chopped peppers: 1 to 2 fists
- Eggs: 7 x ? in order to hit your protein goal (7g / egg X 7 eggs = 49g protein)
- Chicken sausage (optional)
- Salt & Pepper, Salsa, Guacamole (optional)
Throw your frozen vegetables
in the pan and let them thaw for a few minutes. Crack your eggs into the pan and scramble them up with the vegetables
. Total Time: 5 Minutes
This is not the only breakfast solution, but the “Sparta Scramble” should de-mystify many of the long held traditions that surround breakfast. Getting a head start on your protein and veggie goals for the day does not have to be hard or take a lot of time.
The only question is…what excuse and broken way of thinking are you still holding on too?