The 1 Leg Deadlift is one of our maximal strength exercises at Sparta.
- Posterior Chain Strength
- Rotational Stability (Hips and Trunk)
- Postural Control / Stability (Eccentric component carryover to landing mechanics)
- Set up with your grip at the edge of the knurling, and one foot in the middle of the bar
- Pull shoulders down and back and lock in with a neutral spine
- Drive through the hips and focus on full extension at the top
- Lower the bar down slowly - keeping your chest up and hips back
The trap bar is great for learning this movement because of the higher handles. Athletes can learn the initial bracing and drive out of the bottom on one leg. The 1 leg deadlift is an awesome maximal strength movement because it provides a serious strength stimulus while minimizing spinal loading.
Try 1 Leg Deadlifts if you are looking for a great way to improve your single leg strength, or if you are just looking for a way to change up your traditional deadlift.